Ennai Kathrikai @ Brinjal Stuffed Curry is prepared with tamarind & jaggery along with some spicy Indian masalas which goes very well with rice or dosa. Hope you all try & enjoy it!
Cooking Time – 25 minutes | Preparation Time – 15 minutes | Serves – 3-4
Brinjal – 10-15 (small & round sized)
Gingelly (Sesame) Oil – 6 tablespoon
Mustard – 2 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
Small onion – 6-7 (Finely chopped)
Curry Leaves – 2 tablespoon
Tomato – 1 (Finely chopped)
Salt – to taste
Water – as required
Jaggery – 1 tablespoon (grated)
To prepare Masala Powder
Urad Dal – 1 tablespoon
Bengal Gram – 1 tablespoon
White/ Black sesame (Til) – 1 teaspoon
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Peanuts – 1 tablespoon
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut – 3 tablespoon
Dhaniya (Coriander seeds) – 3 tablespoon
Red chillies – 6-7
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan & add the ingredients mentioned to prepare masala powder one by one (roast each ingredient sperately) and roast them. Cool them thoroughly & grind to a fine powder.(This powder can be used while making various other curries like bhindi, bitter gourd, etc.)
2. Wash the brinjal & slit them into 4 along with the stalk. Check if there are any insects/ worms as they are usually found in this vegetable & if so do not use them.
3. Soak tamarind in hot water and extract tamarind juice.
4. Add the remaining oil in the pan. Once heated, add mustard, onion, tomato, curry leaves & turmeric powder.(Garlic can also be added if required)
5. Once they are cooked, add the brinjal, cover it and cook for 5 minutes. (Masala powder can be stuffed into the brinjal & added before cooking it)
6. Once brinjal is half cooked in the oil, add the tamarind juice, salt, jaggery, ground powder and required amount of water. Give it a stir once a while & cover it for 10 mins until excess oil comes out of the gravy.
Now your brinjal curry is ready to be tasted! 🙂